Tuesday, April 24, 2012

15mm Sci/Fi II

My order from Critical Mass Games arrived yesterday.  Only ten days from shipping in the UK to arriving here.  Not bad.  This was a trial balloon to see how I feel about 15mm.  I've been staring at my FoW US Army models and trying to project from there, but I wanted to see these in the flesh.

So... how do I feel about them?  I'm happy.  There's good detail on these.  The vehicles are very nice.  The troops are small but look great.  The price is definitely a sweet spot, and it makes SWMBO happy.

 A little blurry but it does the job.  This is the first order I placed.


The troops are very clean casts.  I had almost not flash to file off, with one exception.  Even that one only had a little bit of flash to clean.  The detail is great and I think will reward a careful paint job.  I'll still be doing these quickly, but they look a lot better than I expected.

The squad.  There are eight of them.

A close up.  Isn't it amazing how the macro focused on the feet and made the head blurry.  I'll have to remember that in the future.
The grav bike is just an awesome piece of kit.  I love this thing.  It's a two part model, the bike and rider are one piece and the stand is another.  I had to do a little bit of filing on the edge of the stand to clean it up and the nub that goes into the bottom of the bike needed to be trimmed down a tad.  Probably three minutes total to get this thing ready and glued.

The Grav Bike.  Very sexy.
The Grav Scout came with two different turrets, the main chasis and a two piece flight stand.  Again, the stand needed a few minutes of trimming to clean it up and make it all fit right.  There were two nubbins of resin from where the rear grav sponsons were cut away.  Other than that, this thing is ready to go.  The turrets drop into a spot on the roof, so no need to glue them and you can switch them out at will to change your weapons loadout.  This is a very nice little tank and I'm looking forward to painting it.

The Grav Scout with one turret in place.
The two weapons options.  You can see the inset for them to drop into, on top of the scout.
CMG got me what I ordered in quick time.  Ten days from order to receipt, crossing the pond and getting through customs.  Not bad at all.  This whole lot, plus shipping was $23.  I'm very happy with the quality of the castings as well as the detail on the models themselves.  I will definitely be filling out this ARC fleet unit as well as placing some orders with other manufacturers.

Now I just have to find some rules.

A final group shot.  Look at the detail on these things.  Very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...