Saturday, July 06, 2013

Gaming table, Part II.

I've been working on the tiles for the new table.  They need quite a bit of work, and I needed to pick up some more materials.  The table holds twelve 2ft x 2ft tiles.  There will be a few tiles that are just plan, flat terrain, suitable for placing other terrain on.  Others will have terrain built into them.

terrain
1/4 hill.  The profile on the edge matches the other three.

The first tiles I worked on were four grey, flat pieces.  These are suitable for ruins, a spaceport or a city.  A few years ago I got a gallon can of grey, textured paint for five dollars out of the bargain bin at Home Depot.  The paint has sand mixed with it.  Not only does it give a rough texture to the foam, it has good texture which I'm hoping will dry brush well.

terrain
There are four of these.
Once I'd finished painting four of these it was time to move on to the hills.  I wanted hills that could sit in the corners, be combined on the edge or make one big hill in the center of the table.  I made a template and used that to cut the edges on all four.  They match up any way I place them.  I'm also working on two ridges which will have the same profile.

terrain
Another hill.
The hills were made by cutting a tile into four pieces.  I then used the hot wire cutter to cut the profile.  A sharp utility knife, with the blade extended to the full four inches, and the hot wire cutter, were used to shape each hill.  I found that the knife worked best when I took small slices instead of trying for big cuts.  Once I had the shape I wanted I used a sanding block to smooth it all down.  The next step will be to use some spackle (filler) to smooth the hills into the table.

The next tiles I'll work on will be the two ridges and a single tile with some contours built into it.  After that I plan on three with low hills and a stream in them.  The final few tiles will be a river.  I'm a little nervous about the river so I'm saving it for last.

I'm loving this project.  I've been dreaming about this table for years.  It's very satisfying to finally be working on it.  I've also found a source if inspiration on the Architect's of War blog.

6 comments:

  1. What a great start, I long to start something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about this project. I'm lucky to have the space, but parts of it could translate to almost any table.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Andrew. This is the easy part though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're getting to do a project you've dreamt of so long. I like the way you're doing the hills. Very efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Efficiency is one of my watch words.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Nathan. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...