Thursday, January 02, 2014

Painting Challenge VII - Roman auxiliary cavalry - Finished

I've finished up the last of my Romans for the challenge.  These six models complete the medium cavalry as well as the army as a whole, barring the command stands which were started pre-challenge.

Roman auxiliary cavalry
All six of the final models.

There's not a lot to say about these guys.  They are more of the same as the last set, since they are the second half of the unit.

Roman auxiliary cavalry
Two riders.
Here's what I sent in to Curt:

  The last six of my Roman cavalry.  Not much to say about these that hasn’t already been said.  These guys were done pretty quickly, but only because of the way I paint.  When I’m working on a set of models I like to have the next set standing by.  If I have too much paint then I’ll transition to the next guys in the queue and use it up.  This works best, of course, when they are getting the same paint scheme.  In the case of this unit these models were about a third painted when I started on them this morning.

I also included a shot of all twelve of the cavalry.  They’ll be a nice big unit on the table.  With all of the newly painted units for this army I’m sure to lose the next game but it should look good at any rate.

Roman auxiliary cavalry
Front view.
 The shields are not quite the right size for these decals.  They are just a bit smaller.  On three of them I had to use an x-acto knife to trim off part of the decal that was overlapping the edge of the shield.

Roman auxiliary Cavalry
You can see the "I" on his saddle blanket, marking this unit as the Alae I Thracum.
The final shot is the glamour shot of the entire unit.  I need to get better at photography.  I know there's ways to get all of these dudes in focus at once but I don't know how to use my camera properly.  Something to work on for the new year I suppose.

Roman auxiliary cavalry
The entire unit of twelve medium cavalry.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. This weekend I'll get them all together for a group shot.

      Delete
  2. I like them and the shield transfers are handsome on the light blue field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I do like how these particular transfers are clear so you can vary the color between units if you want to.

      Delete
  3. The troops came out terrific, despite the aforementioned flash problem. They really look great enough that I could forget the flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. They look good from a couple of feet, and I covered up as much of the flaws I could with paint, but they were frustrating to clean and every time I had to put brush to misshapen lump of metal I was disappointed again. I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  4. It's a nice clean look and I'm a big fan of the whole unit together. You've got a nice, crisp style for the Romans, which I'm a fan of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. I'm finding my style, I think, finally.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...