Sunday, June 01, 2014

Terrain - Country roads

I've been on a roll this weekend, cranking out all kinds of stuff and even finishing some things up.  The big thing is the completion of the first seven dirt road sections.  I started these months ago but finally got back to them.

The Empire's finest walking along a dirt road.

There are seven of these, each a foot long.  To finish them I dry brushed them with a tan and then a light color, both samples from Home Depot and Lowes (DIY).  There are two colors of static grass glued down the center and edges, and voila, Bob's your uncle.

All seven straight sections.
Next up I'll need a T junction, a cross-roads and several curved sections, as well as more straights.  Seven feet of road sounds like a lot but it's not nearly enough.

You can get a better idea of the vegetation in this shot.
I have another piece of plywood which, I think, is the same thickness as this.  I'm headed out to the garage now to check it out.

Three feet of road.  I think this will look good.  Especially once I get fences, walls and hedges done.

10 comments:

  1. Your roads look terrific! Reminds me of some of the rural roads in my youth. I don't recall the last time I saw a road with a strip of vegetation growing down the middle. Certainly brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I based them on the roads of my youth. In Wyoming there was always grass down the center. They didn't get a lot of traffic. Glad you like them.

      Delete
    2. We were practically neighbors. I grew up in Idaho, although on the southwestern portion of the state.

      Delete
    3. Not much difference. For the roads to really look like the ones from my childhood the grass would all have to be sere and brown, of course. I was aiming for the look of the fine powder that the roads get ground into in summer.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done, I was just thinking that I needed to get some done myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the roads. I've always put off making some, but you've inspired me to think strongly about making some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. they were very easy with a couple of power tools.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...